[Ipe-discuss] Trouble using marks

Per Austrin austrin at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Oct 19 22:51:26 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-19 13:27, Per Austrin wrote:
> For some strange reason, I'm unable to draw marks with IPE on my
> computer.  What happens is the following:
>
> I can draw text, lines, etc just fine.  But if I try to place a mark, it
> is not shown.  However, the object is there, I can select it and change
> its properties and so on.  Then, if I try to draw something else, like a
> line, after having placed the (unseen) mark, it also won't be drawn (but
> the object will be there).  If I delete the original mark, the line that
> I drew after the mark becomes visible.  A similar issue occurs if I try
> to draw arrowheads: they won't appear, but after I've drawn them I can
> still draw other objects properly.
>
> I've tried both the IPE version in the Ubuntu repository (7.0.14) and
> the most recent one (7.1.1).  My machine is running Ubuntu 11.10.
>
> It seems to me that this happens because of some misconfiguration or
> broken library on my machine, but I'm at a loss on how to debug this
> properly.  Does anyone have pointers to what the likely culprit is, or
> how I should debug the issue?  I just started using IPE yesterday, so I
> apologize in advance if there is a trivial answer to this.

I finally managed to figure out the cause of my problem:  I am using
LANG="en_DK.UTF-8".  It seems this gives the XML parser trouble when
parsing the style file, I'm guessing it starts expecting ',' as decimal
point instead of '.' which causes the mark shapes to be improperly
parsed.  Unsetting the LANG variable fixes it.

It would be nice if I could use IPE without having to unset LANG though.

Regards,
Per Austrin