Re[Ipe-discuss] curring crashs due to the same error ("malloc, pointer being freed was not allocated") in various situations (7.0.13, Snow Leopard)

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Tue Jan 4 22:36:40 CET 2011

On 01/05/2011 12:19 AM, Brian Griffin wrote:
> I just compiled IPE 7.0.13 on Mac OS X (10.6.5) using MacPorts for the
> dependencies, the texlive2009 fontmap and by changing CONFIG += x86_64 to
> x84 (it wouldnt compile as 64) in the config.mak. Everything seemed to work
> well on a first peak, until I started doing some sketches.
>
> Now and unfortunately very regulary Ipe crashes saying the following in the
> terminal:
> "ipe(15068,0x7fff70cd4ca0) malloc: *** error for object 0x1001add20: pointer
> being freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Abort trap"

A similar problem was reported as bug #20
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/ipe7/view.php?id=20

I have no idea what could cause this.  Ipe does not actually call malloc
and free, but relies entirely on C++ constructors and destructors.   I
suspect there is a problem with binary compatility of libraries.

It would be good if someone could figure out where in Ipe the crash happens.