[Ipe-discuss] changing primary selection

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Feb 18 05:29:16 CET 2011

Otfried Cheong [2011.02.18 1031 +0900]:
> On 02/17/2011 01:58 PM, Zhengdao Wang wrote:
> >I think this is a good idea - it is simple to remember, and
> >simple to implement too I guess.
>
> It would be easy to change this, but I'm wondering if there won't be
> many complaints.
>
> Ipe users tend to be quite conservative in their use of the mouse,
> judging from the people who reverted Ipe 7 back to Ipe 6 behavior.
>
> I'd hope to hear some more opinions.

Since you're asking for it, here are my 2c.  I understand the request
here and would actually be quite happy if we find some way to implement
this.  However, Ipe's current behaviour is that the *first* selected
element is the primary selection.  If you think about something like
centering elements w.r.t. some reference element, I think the current
workflow is quite natural: select the reference element, then select
all elements that should be centered with it.  It would take some
relearning if suddenly the last element becomes the primary selection,
even though it's of course not a huge change, and it would lead to an
easy way to implement the very useful functionality requested here.

So, after I started writing this to say that I don't like the proposal,
I realize that the pros may outweigh the cons here.

- Norbert