[Ipe-discuss] Re: Ipe crashing on MacOS X

Vincent Beffara vbeffara at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Aug 24 12:11:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

OC> It seems we have now finally identified the source of the problem.
OC> It occurs when Lua is incorrectly compiled as a static library
OC> instead of a dynamic library.  This results in ipeui.dylib,
OC> ipelua.dylib, and the ipe program itself all linking in (parts of)
OC> the Lua interpreter statically, so you end up with a program that
OC> contains three copies of the interpreter.  In a sense, it is
OC> surprising that it worked at all...

Indeed, it even feels strange that the build proceeds to the end!

OC> You should be able to check if your libraries and executables are
OC> linked against the Lua dynamic library. (On Linux, you would say
OC> "ldd ipe", or "ldd libipelua.so", and would need to see a line
OC> listing "liblua5.1.so" or so - does "ldd" exist on MacOS X?)

Yes, it is called "otool -L ipe".

OC> You should probably delete the file "liblua.a" from your system
OC> entirely.  There is no reason to have the static library around
OC> (unless you use Lua for something else), and it will force all
OC> compilations to link against the dynamic library "liblua.dylib".

In principle if both are present then the dylib should be the one used -
at least that's what happens for me (I maintain a package description
for IPE within fink, and it does link with the dynamic version). But I
will keep an eye on it now ;-)

Cheers,

        /vincent

--
|                 |   UMPA - ENS Lyon   | Mél: vbeffara at ens-lyon.fr |
| Vincent Beffara |  46 allée d'Italie  | Tél: (+33) 4 72 72 85 25  |