[Ipe-discuss] Ipe 7 and Mac OS 10.6

Marc Scherfenberg marcscherfenberg at arcor.de
Wed Nov 11 15:41:06 CET 2009

Hi,

It seems there are some modifications necessary in order to get Ipe 7 compiled on the current Mac OS 10.6.
So maybe there are some people interested in how it worked for me.

Needed libraries:
- QT:  I installed QT 4.6 cocoa binaries (these are 64 bit only, so everything needs to be compiled in 64 bit, QT does currently not compile under MacPorts)
- freetype and cairo: I installed it via MacPorts, this is convenient and automatically compiled under 64 bit.
- lua: compiled source manually, as the MacPorts directory structure of lua is different from what ipe expects. Add  '-arch x86_64' to the CFLAGS in the makefile.

Furthermore, we need to modify common.mak and config.mak:
common.mak:
	- delete the '-s' in 'INSTALL_PROGRAMS = install -s -m 0755' (this prevents a faulty stripping)
config.mak:
	- add a line 'CONFIG += x86_64' (thanks to Zach Teitler)
	- Qt does not install pkg-config-files under mac os any more, which are used by the compilation process of Ipe. The same holds for lua.  So we need to set the needed flags manually:
	  QT_CFLAGS	=-I/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers
	  QT_LIBS		=-F/Library/Frameworks -L/Library/Frameworks -framework QtCore -framework ApplicationServices -framework QtGui -framework AppKit -framework Cocoa -lz -lm
	  LUA_CFLAGS    = -L/usr/local/include
	  LUA_LIBS      	= -L/usr/local/lib -llua -lm

I am not sure whether the modified compilation flags are set optimally, however this way it works on my Mac.

Good luck!
Marc Scherfenberg