[Ipe-discuss] Interface changes in Ipe 7

Freek freek_ipe at vanwal.nl
Tue Nov 3 16:06:13 CET 2009

Although I think Ipe 7 is in general a real improvement over Ipe 6, I have
some minor problems with the new interface.

First, the new grid is quite prominent, I liked the old one better. Could you
maybe make an option to switch between the two, supposing you like the new one
better?

Second, the interaction model changed a bit such that it is more like other
programs, which is a good thing I think. The problem I have though is that
moving objects works a bit clumsy now. In Ipe 6 you could just use the middle
mouse button to move stuff, even when in selection mode and also select stuff
with the right mouse button, even in other modes. Although it took a bit of
getting used to, it is very handy. I don't know what the best solution would
be, perhaps a modifier key might work (e.g. ctrl+left mouse = move in select
mode).

Now that I'm on it anyway: I've always been missing a recently used file list
in Ipe, any reason for that?

For the rest: it's a great package! (But that's no news.)

P.S. are you planning on making a gradient editor at some point?
--
Freek