[Ipe-discuss] Possible memory leak

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 31 18:23:12 CET 2009

2009/12/31 Otfried Cheong <otfried at ipe.airpost.net>:
> T T wrote:
>>
>> While editing a path with hundreds of points, I've noticed that Ipe
>> consumes a lot of memory (~GB), so much that it brought my system to
>> its knees and I had to kill it. I wasn't able to pinpoint the source
>> of the problem, though. I use Win XP in case that matters.
>>
>> Also, in the path editing mode I sometimes get an error that autosave
>> failed.
>
> It would be good if you could file these as bug reports.
>
> Currently, Ipe places no limit on how much undo information is stored. When
> editing a big document for a long time, an enormous amount of data could be
> accumulated.  I guess we need a configurable limit, say 16 undo steps.  The
> same is true for path-editing, although I didn't expect this to be a
> problem.
>
> You can verify how much memory is consumed by Lua structures in Help->About
> Ipe (check the "Lua" line).   This does not show the memory used by the Ipe
> objects not allocated inside Lua, but it should give a good indication of
> how the growth of the undo stack.

At start-up the memory consumption looks like this:

64MB virtual
18MB working set
0.5MB Lua (from about Ipe)

After a few edits of large path:

950MB virtual
400MB working set
1MB Lua (from about Ipe)

After undo of all edits and adding something to the drawing (to clear
the undo stack) those numbers stay the same, so it doesn't look like
this is a problem with the undo stack.

I can send you the file I tested with if that would help.

Cheers,

Tomek