[Ipe-discuss] font size problem

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sun Dec 27 13:51:40 CET 2009

Tim Hutt wrote:
> Qingshan Chen wrote:
>>> I have a problem with IPE. Let's say we want to typeset $x_{\frac{1}{2}}$,
>>> which is of course a simple latex code. When we determine that the text of
>>> normal size is too large, we would like to reduce the font size. In doing so
>>> we would like the text "x" and the subscript "\frac{1}{2}" scale down
>>> proportionally. But they don't, and this is my problem. I found that when
>>> the text font size is set to "tiny", \frac{1}{2} is typeset significantly
>>> larger than x itself. Can anyone help me out with this issue?
>
> I've noticed this too. As a workaround, typeset the text at a normal
> size then scale it. You have to make the text transformable first
> (there's an option in the context menu).

This is the expected Latex behaviour.  If you typeset the following in
Latex, you'll see that the fonts do not simply scale proportionally:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\normalsize $x_{\frac12}$ \tiny $x_{\frac12}$
\end{document}

If the 1/2 were any smaller, it would hardly be readable. Why would you
want to typeset such an expression at such a microscopic point size?

If you really need this, the right way to do it is to change the
definition of "tiny" in the style sheet.

The normal definition is:

<textsize name="tiny" value="\tiny"/>

You can replace this by

<textsize name="tiny" value="\normalsize"/>
<textstretch name="tiny" value="0.6"/>

Then "tiny" text will simply look like normal text, but scaled down to 60%.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!