[Ipe-discuss] Mac OS X installation notes & question about PDFlatex error

Zachariah C. Teitler zteitler at selu.edu
Fri Feb 16 18:36:53 CET 2007

Hello,

I have enjoyed using Ipe for some time; thank you for providing this
great tool! Now to work with a collaborator I have tried to upgrade
to the version 6.0-pre28. I had to struggle a bit to get this to
build on Mac OS X. In case others might be interested, I thought I'd
share a few notes about what I have done. Unfortunately not
everything works at the moment, so at the end there is a question.

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8. I have installed gwTeX and Freetype2
using i-Installer. I installed the XCode tools from Apple's Developer
site; I had it install all the SDKs but I skipped the gigabytes of
examples and documentation... From Trolltech's web site I downloaded
and installed Qt/Mac Open Source Edition 4.2.2.

Qt's installer does something weird and annoying which has to be
fixed by hand. Edit the file open /Library/Frameworks/
QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers/qconfig.h
Change:
#  define QT_EDITION QT_EDITION_UNKNOWN
to:
#  define QT_EDITION QT_EDITION_DESKTOP
(This will require authenticating.)

Download and decompress the Ipe6.0-pre28 source code from
ipe.compgeom.org.

In the Ipe source directory, edit the file config.pri:
1. Freetype location: i-Installer puts Freetype in /usr/local/
include. Change this line:
FREETYPE_INCLUDE  = /usr/include/freetype2
to:
FREETYPE_INCLUDE  = /usr/local/include/freetype2
2. Uncomment one of the lines that starts #IPEPREFIX. I chose to put
Ipe into /usr/local/ipe

Open a shell in the Ipe source directory. Run:
qmake -spec macx-g++ -recursive
make
sudo make install
sudo ln -f -s /usr/local/ipe/lib/lib* /usr/lib

Now the Ipe application should be built in /usr/local/ipe/bin .

Create or edit the file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist adding the
following lines:
<key>IPEPDFLATEX</key>
<string>/usr/texbin/pdflatex</string>

[To be honest, I struggled with all this stuff for quite a while---
e.g., installing Qt more than once to try to get it right---so these
aren't the exact steps I took. I've tried to keep track of everything
I did, and give some steps that *should* work.]

Well, I hope that might be helpful to someone.

Now, I have a copy of Ipe, version 6.0-pre28, which runs on Mac OS X.
Unfortunately it doesn't "play nice" with pdflatex. The error message
is: "Something is wrong with the PDF file generated by Pdflatex.
Please consult the stderr output to identify the problem." If I run
Ipe from a shell (/usr/local/ipe/bin/ipe.app/Contents/MacOS/ipe) here
is the output:

-------------------
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./text.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak,
german, ng
erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian,
farsi, finnish,
french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
interlingua, ibyc
us, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk,
polish, por
tuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian,
swedish,
turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.

(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/graphics/color.sty
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/config/color.cfg)
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/pdftex-def/pdftex.def)) (./
text.aux)
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
)
Overfull \hbox (170.0pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 30--31
[][]
[1

pdfTeX warning: /usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
pdflatex: pop
empty color page stack 0
{/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./
text.aux)
)
(see the transcript file for additional information)</usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.tex
live/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
Output written on text.pdf (1 page, 4298 bytes).
Transcript written on text.log.