[Ipe-discuss] problems including pdf figures with ipe 6pre25

Otfried Cheong otfried at kaist.ac.kr
Sun Mar 26 17:26:24 CEST 2006

Kostas Oikonomou wrote:
> My particular figure is a scatterplot with a lot of points, labels on
> the axes, etc.  I don't think that's a very suitable figure for
> pdftoipe.  I assume this problem will be addressed in the future,
> but for now, is there some other way to include scalable graphics of the
> type I'm talking about?

No, Ipe currently has no way to incorporate external PDF data in its own
output.  What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I currently have no plan to add this feature to Ipe.  The reason is that
the feature would probably disappoint many people, because:

* Ipe doesn't know PDF.  So Ipe cannot display the contents of the
included scalable figure on the screen - you would only see an empty
rectangle where the figure will go.

* Ipe wouldn't know how to generate Postscript output for the included
figure.  So saving in EPS format wouldn't work - once you have included
a scalable graphics in PDF format, you would no longer be able to save
in Postscript.  (Or Ipe would need to use an external program like
"pdftops" to do the conversion to EPS format).

Other than this, adding the feature would be realistic (but not trivial
- unlike EPS inclusion, which is simply copying of text, PDF inclusion
needs some parsing of the PDF document to extract the PDF objects that
need to be copied).