[Ipe-discuss] ipe features

Jan Hlavacek jhlavace at svsu.edu
Mon Jan 23 16:52:14 CET 2006

Otfried Cheong wrote:

> Dmitriy Morozov wrote:
>> On a somewhat related topic. What exactly is the depth model in Ipe? I
>> find "Move to Back"/"Move to Front" to be way too coarse of a
>> manipulation
>> scheme. I personally would prefer something like XFig's explicit depth
>> setting. Would this be difficult to implement in Ipe? Does it require a
>> major rewrite, or does it fit in with the current model?
>
> Ipe doesn't use explicit depth values, but simply keeps all objects on
> the page in an ordered list -- the front object is the last one on the
> list.
>
> What we could have is a function "Move back/forward one step", which
> exchanges two adjacent positions on the list.

That would be nice.

> The object menu could also display the rank of the object, and you could
>  set this to a different value to move it up or down at will.

That would be nice, too, but I think that "back/forward one step" would
do everything I need.  Maybe more valuable would be exposing the "rank"
of objects to ipelets, so you could write ipelets to change the order in
some specific way.

--
Jan Hlavacek                                        Science West 359
Instructor of Mathematics                             (989) 964-2004