[Ipe-discuss] Re: Feature request: Ruler

Otfried Cheong otfried at kaist.ac.kr
Wed Apr 19 18:11:24 CEST 2006

Jan Hlavacek wrote:
> That's true, but you need to know the syntax.  Perhaps an ipelet that
> takes currently selected objects, opens them in a text editor of your
> choice, and lets you modify them would be good.  Say you need a specific
> circle, so you create a random circle, select it, and edit it in an
> editor.  It should also be pretty easy to implement.

Create a random circle, select it, and press Ctrl+C.

Open your favorite text editor, and press "Paste".

Edit the object, then do the reverse :-)

Actually an ipelet for doing this (with a text editor window) was posted
here about a year ago by Pierre Boulenguez.  I haven't yet added this to
the distribution because it suffers from an Ipe problem: if you make a
mistake in the syntax when editing the object, it can cause Ipe to crash.

The reason I haven't fixed that is that I haven't made up my mind on
whether to start using exceptions in Ipe.

> And while we are talking about wishes, one think I would like to see is
> the ipe's ipelet api exported to some higher level interpreted language,
> like python or ruby, so one could write ipelets in such language.

I think I've suggested this as an excellent project for a volunteer
before :-)