[Ipe-discuss] Page numbers in presentations

Otfried Cheong otfried at cs.kaist.ac.kr
Fri Apr 1 03:16:15 CEST 2005

>>As for templates:  make the contents a group, and put whatever you
>>want (I use a label, a horizontal line, and a logo on my
>>presentations).
>
> I actually tried that after sending the email, and realized that the
> whole approach doesn't work. If I put a group into a template, it
> does not let me ungroup the objects (after using that template),
> which makes modifying the title text impossible. What's much worse is
> even if I make just a single text object a template, it does not let
> me edit its contents after I use the template in the document. Is it
> meant to be like this by design, or is it a bug?

Aha - you expect more from templates than they are designed to deliver.

Currently, templates provide you with objects that you can reuse on any
page of your document.  When reusing, they can be transformed.  The name
"template" is probably misleading - it's simply a way of defining a
reusable object.

There is no feature in Ipe to provide templates for page layout (except
for the little support for margins, and having special text boxes align
with them).

I'm not sure how far I want to go with Ipe in this direction.