[Ipe-announce] Ipe 7.2.24 is out

Otfried Cheong ipe at otfried.org
Wed Apr 7 12:34:01 CEST 2021

Ipe 7.2.24 is now available in source form, as a Windows binary, as a MacOS app, and as Linux packages on the Ipe homepage at http://ipe.otfried.org.

This release was made necessary by bintray stopping to host the Ipe binaries - they are now on github.

The most important change is that I applied a patch to the cairo library on Mac OS that stops Ipe from crashing when drawing tiling patterns in El Sur (although I only heard about this from one user).

Another change for El Sur:  the toolbar is now in the old style, underneath the title bar.  The new "unified" title/toolbar left too many tool buttons off the screen.   If there are some users with gigantic screens that prefer the new look, I can make this a preference.

Large bitmaps are now displayed with much better quality (important if you are filming from the canvas).

And there are a few bugfixes and small usability improvements.

Enjoy,

Ipe 7.2.24 (2021-04-07)

 * Fix a crash on MacOS 11 El Sur by applying a patch to cairo
   (bug #370).

 * Switch from CAIRO_FILTER_FAST to CAIRO_FILTER_GOOD for decent
   display (essential when filming from the canvas).

 * Make "Select by type/attribute" ipelet work when selecting on an
   absolute color (#380).

 * Fix semi-transparent bitmaps as well as bitmaps with color keys not
   working in Ipepresenter (bug #9).

 * Fix exporting to EPS when part of the drawing lies outside the
   paper (bug #369).

 * Remember online latex service URL in a different file to avoid
   problems when using old and new Ipe versions.

 * Improve calling of external editor on Qt, so that keyboard focus
   is given to the external editor.

 * Raise Ipe window after returning from external editor on Qt, in
   case the editor program is still running.

 * New preference 'freeze_in_latex' to let the Ipe UI freeze during a
   Latex run.

 * New shell script 'iperender-par' that allows to run several
   instances of iperender in parallel (e.g. as part of a parallel
   make) (#375).

 * Add Lua API to access (Latex) dimensions of text object.

 * Silently ignore non-integer grid sizes (#372).

 * On MacOS 11, return to the classic toolbar underneath the title
   bar, because the new unified look leaves most tool buttons off the
   screen (bug #376).