[Ipe-announce] Ipe 7.1.0 available

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Mon Aug 29 17:24:21 CEST 2011

A new version of Ipe is available on the Ipe webpage at ipe7.sf.net.

It fixes a few bugs and implements a few new features - nothing very
exciting.

If you are using MacOS X, please do check the revised install file for

I have increased the minor version number nevertheless, since there were
many internal changes - I have refactored the code to separate the
toolkit-dependent user interface code.  As a result it will be possible
to build Ipe with different toolkits.  I'm planning a new Windows
release that uses the Windows interface directly (without Qt). This
isn't quite done, but shouldn't take much longer either.  Perhaps I'll
write a Gtk-version, just for practice and to compare (Ipeview already
works in Gtk).  And perhaps someone will contribute a Cocoa interface
for MacOS X...

Enjoy,

Ipe 7.1.0 (2011-08-29) SVN 549

  * Refactored Ipe code so that it is easy to build the Ipe application
    with different user interface toolkits.  A native Win32 interface
    is nearly complete.  A Gtk interface is being considered, with
    Canvas and dialog support implemented.  Perhaps someone will
    contribute a native Cocoa interface for Mac OS X.

  * Selection preserved after undo.

  * When adding objects to the selection, the last selected object is
    the primary selection.

  * New shredder mode (feature #16).

  * Easier customization of mouse buttons using a table in "mouse.lua".
    More than three buttons can now be used.  New "shred" operation.

  * Added "ipescript" tool.  It is no longer necessary to install the
    Ipe module for Lua to run scripts.

  * Fixed bounding box when exporting a view to Postscript.

  * Properties menu now also shown when no object selected, and allows
    to change properties of multiple objects at once.

  * Updated Makefile and instructions for compiling on MacOS X (bug
    #20). Including shell script for building an app bundle by leahcimb.

  * Fixed regular k-gon ipelet (bug #35).

  * Fixed prefs.lua for MacOS X (bug #28).

  * Layers are now again presented in the order in which they were
    added (bug #32).  In the future we'll need a feature to rearrange
    them manually.

  * Added preference for zoom factor (feature #53).

  * On MacOS X, the close button should now correctly reflect whether
    the document is modified.

  * Fixed display of subsection bookmarks (bug #31).

  * Fixed spurious loss of pinning information for group objects (bug #37).

  * First attempt to handle file-open events on Mac OS X.
    This would allow to launch documents by clicking them (feature #58).

  * Shortcut to rename the active layer (feature #50).

  * If prefs.tablet_mode is true, then in ink mode the selection is not
    highlighted and the cursor remains a dot (feature #26).