[delta-l] Accessing images from a downloaded Intkey dataset

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at netspeed.com.au
Fri Oct 5 03:45:20 CEST 2012

- From: Dilys Vela
- Subject: Initiating Delta-Key

> With your help, I was able to make it work. Actually, I needed it to
> go to the Delta folder and Unzip the "intkeyw" file to be able to get
> the "intkey.ink" file.
>
> This dataset is the grass one, and I can not see pictures. Actually,
> only when I use the web page link is when I have the option of the
> picture, but as I said I can't see it using the key from my laptop.

I'll assume you're using the original Intkey, not the ALA version. The
latter should work in much the same way, but I haven't checked it it detail.

When you finish working with a key from the Web, Intkey displays the
message 'Do you want to save the data set you have just downloaded and
used on your own disk?'. If you click 'Yes', it saves two files: an Intkey
'startup' file, and a zipfile containing the main data. In the case of the
dataset 'Grass Genera of the World' (http://delta-intkey.com/grass/),
these files are webstart.ink and intkeyw.zip.

If you specify the folder D:\scratch\grass\ in which to save the key, the
file webstart.ink contains

InkFile=D:\scratch\grass\webstart.ink
DataFile=http://delta-intkey.com/grass/intkeyw.zip
InitializationFile=intkey.ink
ImagePath=http://delta-intkey.com/grass/images
InfoPath=http://delta-intkey.com/grass/info

When you open this file with Intkey, the program first looks for the data
file intkeyw.zip in the same folder as the startup file, i.e.
D:\scratch\grass\, where it would normally be. However, if it isn't there,
it gets it from its original location on the Web, as specified in the
'DataFile' variable.

The file intkeyw.zip includes a file intkey.ink, which starts with the lines

*FILE TAXA iitems
*FILE CHAR ichars
*FILE INPUT startup.inp
*FILE INPUT toolbar.inp
*SET IMAGEPATH images
*SET INFOPATH info

If you unzip all of the contents of intkeyw.zip into a single folder, and
you open intkey.ink in this folder (which I think is what you've done),
the program will find the main data files iitems and ichars in the same
folder. But it /won't/ find the images and 'information' (such as the
complete RTF descriptions), because they are not available in the
specified subfolders 'images' and 'info'.

However, if you open the saved dataset from D:\scratch\grass\webstart.ink,
which you should normally do, the ImagePath and InfoPath specified there
override the ones specified in intkey.ink, and the program will access the
images and descriptions from the Web.

Alternatively, you could download all the images and descriptions into the
local folders D:\scratch\grass\images\ and D:\scratch\grass\info\. Then
they will be available locally when you open intkey.ink.

Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm
DELTA home page: http://delta-intkey.com