[delta-l] DELTA standard - dashes

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:53:44 CET 2012

Generalizing this:

ALL parsing tokens should accept reasonable alternative encodings -- if it
visible looks alike, it should be treated alike.

So, for example hyphen, en-dash em-dash should be equivalent back tick,
vertical tick and single quotes should be equivalent. double quotes and
guillemets and angle quotes;

If $ is used as a marker, then other currencies should be accepted too.

In terms of programming the easiest way would be to have a 'table of
equivalencies' and so the first pass through substitutes an arbitrary token
for these whenever they occur.  This allows easy customization depending on
what keyboard is local.

Along with this however you need either some error checking so that the
same character cannot be used for two different tokens.  E.g. if

range operator = dash => -, em-dash, en-dash, U1234, etc

then later

choice of options = pipe => |, solidus, double-dagger, en-dash

SOMETHING better fuss.

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford