[delta-l] Exporting DELTA-format data from Intkey

Les Watson leswatson at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 21 05:12:29 CET 2012

 > Is it possible to use available data sets and you can mention in the
 > material and methods or as a used references or by permission from
 > the author?!

 >> If someone wants the original, unpublished DELTA data, including
 >> all the details lost in converting to Intkey, they must negotiate

Etc.

Why not send an email asking for the data, and outlining why you want
them? How many authors will make you 'negotiate'? For example, the
Watson & Dallwitz packages at delta-intkey.com carry statements to the
effect that, " ... complete Delta data sets can be donated to any
professional or amateur biologist or organization interested in using
them or developing them further" - on the assumption that sources will
be appropriately acknowledged in any resulting publications. In
addition, an inexpensive DVD carries folders containing the complete
Delta files and illustrations for all the data sets. The latter are in
fully operational form for potential users who have installed the Delta
programs.

Unfortunately, some active practitioners may now be forbidden by their
employers from behaving in this fashion. In a bygone age, I happily gave
comparative taxonomic data, including original observations, to the
(very few!) people who inquired after them. Subsequently, this
necessitated ignoring commercially-orientated directives from our Vice
Chancellor's office as being alien to my concept of a university.

Les Watson
10 Maitland Avenue, Little Grove, Albany WA 6330, Australia
Email (1): leswatson at westnet.com.au
Email (2): http://delta-intkey.com/contact/watson.htm
Phone: +61 (8) 98 44 4398