[delta-l] Exporting DELTA-format data from Intkey

Buz Wilson Buz.Wilson at austmus.gov.au
Thu Jan 19 22:12:19 CET 2012

Hello all

I found myself feeling somewhat bemused by this thread because if one has an Inkey dataset, why not simply run it in Intkey? Problems with unfriendly operating systems (i.e., Win7) really don't apply any more, as one can still use the DELTA suite (1) a Win XP virtual machine (what I do); (2) on an old laptop or desk machine with XP gathering dust in the closet; (3 - Real Soon Now) the new Java-based ALA DELTA, which is getting close to being useable (I ran a confor tonatr on it using my 800 char dataset recently and the number of things it missed were fairly small).

The rebuilding of a DELTA dataset from IntKey dataset is a more interesting problem, although the times when this is necessary should be rare. If one is really keen, one can get the data from Intkey and rebuild, although this seems less fun to me.

We could post a virtual machine with a stripped down version of Windows and DELTA already installed, but the copyright issues might prevent doing this legally even though the OS is no longer supported by Microsoft. So find an old XP installation disk and build your own. The good news is that you only have to do the dozens of rebootings once as the VM is exportable to other computers. I've done it for my Ubuntu PCs so I can work on my datasets either at home or at work (we too have locked down museum network PCs, but my un-networked Linux machine sits next to it.)

Cheers

Buz Wilson
Australian Museum

by MailMarshal

Yiwarra Kuju: the Canning Stock Route
Exhibition 17 Dec 2011 - 29Apr 2012
www.australianmuseum.net.au

The Australian Museum.

The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The information contained in this email message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.