[delta-l] Exporting DELTA-format data from Intkey

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at netspeed.com.au
Thu Jan 19 07:13:37 CET 2012

- From: Thomas Kluyver

> If people are interested in doing this sort of thing [extracting DELTA
> data from Intkey], it should be possible to add the functionality to
> PyDelta

As I pointed out in my recent posting, the data obtained this way are
usually inferior to the original DELTA data. (For more details, see
'Exporting DELTA-format data from Intkey', DELTA-L 7 November 2003
(http://markmail.org/message/q3va2v2ze7twjcip.) So the reasons for doing
it could be:

(1) To obtain the data without the knowledge and permission of the author.

(2) To obtain the data if the author has declined to supply the original
data, or has placed unacceptable conditions on its use.

(3) To recover data when the original files have been lost.

I invite comments. Perhaps (1) is motivated by shyness or diffidence; or
maybe it's just too much trouble to contact the author. In itself, it
doesn't matter: the data are published so that they can be used. But
consequences might be failure to cite the source of the data in resulting
publications, or to publish an inadequate version of the data. That was
what prompted me to write 'Guidelines for using data taken from Web
publications'
(http://delta-intkey.com/www/data-from-web-publications.htm). See also my
Taxacom posting 'Guidelines for using data taken from Web publications',
16 January 2008 (http://markmail.org/message/xpmvt4qfcnjdigqd), which
contains a more detailed description of some of the problems that may arise.

I didn't mention in my postings on this subject that there's a little-used
Confor directive DISABLE DELTA OUTPUT. "This directive, used with
TRANSLATE INTO INTKEY FORMAT, disables the Intkey commands OUTPUT DESCRIBE
and OUTPUT SUMMARY (which produce DELTA-format data). Note that this
cannot prevent Intkey users from capturing data for processing by other
programs - it only makes it more difficult." Also, it doesn't prevent
other programs from capturing the data from the Intkey files.

Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm
DELTA home page: http://delta-intkey.com