Defining a taxon subset in Intkey

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at NETSPEED.COM.AU
Tue Aug 24 03:27:25 CEST 2010

- From: Volker Bittrich
- To: Mike Dallwitz

> I am not sure how to save a selected set of taxa. I need only the grass
> genera of São Paulo state in Brazil, some 104 currently known, and I
> guess there is another way than selecting these each time I want to run
> the Delta Grass genera key (http://delta-intkey.com/grass/).

You should define a taxon keyword specifying the required subset, then
restrict operations to that subset via 'Settings > Include > Taxa...' (or
'include taxa ...' on the command line).

In 'Grass Genera of the World', 42 geographical subsets are already
defined, and can be invoked via a special toolbar button. For example, a
South American subset is defined and invoked in the file samerica.tax:

{-------------------------------------------------------------------
*SHOW List of South American genera adapted from Nicora and Rugulo
de Agrasar (1987), 'Los Generos de Gramineas de America Austral'.

*DEFINE NAMES "samerica"
      Aciachne, Acroceras, Aegopogon, Agenium, Agnesia, Agropyron,
      Agrostis, Aira, Alopecurus, Ammophila, Amphibromus, ...

*INCLUDE TAXA samerica
-------------------------------------------------------------------}

Using a text editor, create a similar file saopaulo.tax, and invoke it via
'File > File > Input > saopaulo.tax' (or 'file input saopaulo.tax' on
the command line).

If you have downloaded the key to your own computer, you can make it start
with this subset by adding the line

*FILE INPUT saopaulo.tax

to the initialization file intkey.ink.

For further information, see my DELTA-L posting 'Intkey - saving subsets
of characters and taxa for later use', 21 July 1998.

Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm
DELTA home page: http://delta-intkey.com