Connecting words in other languages

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at NETSPEED.COM.AU
Wed Apr 30 10:30:10 CEST 2008

- From: Bryan Simon
- To: Mike Dallwitz

> When using German, Spanish and French character lists, how can I
> change the English 'or' to 'oder', 'o' or 'ou' in descriptions?

Use the Confor VOCABULARY directive. Versions for several languages are
supplied with the DELTA software in files 'vocabde' etc. For example,
when translating into German, use the directives

    *USE LANGUAGE D E *INPUT DELTA FILE vocabde

The undocumented USE LANGUAGE directive is only necessary if you have
alternative versions of comments in the ITEM DESCRIPTIONS. For example:

    72,2<@D nur im Spätholz deutlich @E distinct only in latewood @F
    bien visible que dans le bois final @S distinto solamente en la
    madera tardía>

The USE LANGUAGE directive requires a preceding ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGES
directive, which is normally placed in the 'specs' file. For example:

    *ALTERNATIVE LANGUAGES D E F S

For more information, see my posting 'Re: Two Languages in one CHARS
file' on 25 March 2001.

Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm
DELTA home page: http://delta-intkey.com