DELTA source code - correction

Mauro J. Cavalcanti maurobio at ACD.UFRJ.BR
Fri May 14 17:24:15 CEST 2004

- From: Trevor Whiffin

> As I am sure you are aware, your program will call the Windows API
> whether you code the call directly or indirectly. I prefer to write
> code that call the Windows API directly. This code is more
> transportable

It is just to hide the complexities of API's and make true RAD tools
possible that applications frameworks as Borland's VCL and Microsoft's
MFC have been developed and are widely used in large comercial software
development projects. This is a matter of productivity rather than of
personal preference.

> Without getting into an argument over semantics, I am not aware of a
> truly multi-platform development environment with fully functional
> graphical display on three or more platforms. As a minimum, I would
> expect a "write-once / compile separately" system for at least
> Windows, Macintosh and Unix. That is, there would be a functionally
> identical framework / interface for each of the operating platforms.
> The Borland compiler that you reference seems to handle only two of
> these platforms.

There exists application frameworks that allow the development of true
multi-platform apps. Foremost amongst them is the wxWidgets (formerly
wxWindows) C++ class library (www.wxwidgets.org), another one is the
Zinc C++ library. Both allow the generation of code for the Windows,
Linux, and MacOS by just recompiling the application at each target
platform.

As the Free DELTA Project is using the Borland C++Builder compiler as
its main RAD tool, we will (at least at first) target the MS-Windows
*and* Linux platforms by using the CLX cross-platform application
framework, and code so generated can be distributed under GPL (ie. as
free, open-source software).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mauro J. Cavalcanti
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Zoologia,
Museu Nacional/Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro,
Quinta da Boa Vista, 20940-040, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
E-mail: maurobio at acd.ufrj.br  Homepage: http://www.maurobio.cjb.net