DELTA source code - correction

Trevor Whiffin t.whiffin at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Wed May 12 10:30:33 CEST 2004

Dear All

I will write to correct a point in my last email, before too many people
write to inform me of my mistake. I note on checking some old emails,
and have had it confirmed off-list, that the recent Windows versions of
the CSIRO DELTA programs were written in C++.

The earlier MSDOS versions, for which the source code was made
available, were written in FORTRAN. However, the Windows versions were
in C++. It was a somewhat proprietary version of C++ in that it used a
proprietary library to interface between the code and the Windows API,
and this is now out of date.

Personally I prefer to write in C and make direct calls to the Windows
API. This makes for tighter code and smaller executables, and is less
dependent on a particular compiler. It is also easier to keep up to
date. Nevertheless, it is still dependent on Windows and is not easily
ported to other platforms. Others would program in different ways, but
this has suited my own program development efforts.

Cheers

Trevor

Trevor Whiffin
Department of Botany