DELTA source code

Mauro Cavalcanti maurobio at ACD.UFRJ.BR
Tue May 11 17:52:33 CEST 2004

Dear Computer Taxonomists,

First of all, I cannot help but say that I am delighted to see that
*finally* there have started a serious discussion in this list regarding
the future development of the DELTA system.

- From: George (Buz) Wilson

> The list members here might discuss how an open DELTA project should
> be run, one based on the original code but with an ongoing program of
> enhancing

There *IS* an open source DELTA project underway since April, 2000. This
is the "Free DELTA" initiative (www.freedelta.freewebpage.org) led by
myself with some help of French and US volunteers. The project has
progressed slowly - ironically, because up to now the "list members" of
DELTA-L never mind to discuss and engage in it, depite my regular posts
on this list. I of course cannot accept plainly such a statement as "the
list members here might discuss how an open DELTA project should be
run". The project is right now about to be embraced by a large Brazilian
governmental scientific institution and fast progress is expected as a
result. As an aside, I am glad to tell you that over the last ten years
there has been a growing number of DELTA users in Brazil.

> The various open software projects are good models, but these require
> a effort at maintaining a central code base. If the DELTA software
> code becomes open source, we will not be helped by multiple
> independent forks in the code; average users may lose track of which
> version, or *whose* version, that they are using, and
> incompatibilities (or bugs) might be introduced that could damage
> research

There are *plenty* of very sucessful open source projects underway all
over the world - with GNU/Linux surely appearing foremost among them -
and I fail to see *why* an open source DELTA should be different from
this in any way.

Regards,

Mauro J. Cavalcanti
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Zoologia,
Museu Nacional/Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro,
Quinta da Boa Vista, 20940-040, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil.
E-mail: maurobio at acd.ufrj.br  Homepage: http://www.maurobio.cjb.net