New tools for morphological data management

Roderic D. M. Page r.page at BIO.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Sep 20 14:39:34 CEST 2001

I'd just like to second Tony's comments on cross platform support. There
really isn't an excuse in this day and age for not supporting multiple
platforms. Many people use Windows, but many do not. There is a large
Mac community in systematics that should be considered, as well as some
movement to Linux.

Since 1996 I've been monitoring the frequency of different operating
system used to access the software list at the Taxonomy at Glasgow web
site - http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/software.html - and 21% of the
8000 plus hits are from Macs, with 65% from Windows (the rest are
various types of Unix). So, you've potentially exclude a large chunk of
users.

Cross platform support is a little more time consuming (as I've learnt
through programming Macs and PCs in C++), but there are options (apart
from developing one's own libraries as I have done). wxWindows
(http://www.wxwindows.org/) has a lot of potential, and I've used it for
a Linux version of TreeView
(http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/treeviewx/), which can also be
compiled for Windows and the Mac.

So, if you are really interested in providing a useful tool for the
community, don't be tied to one platform. If you're aiming to provide a
tool for one platform because something similar exists on another, then
supporting only one platform makes sense. For example, I wrote NDE
(http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/NDE/nde.html) to provide a subset
of MacClade's editing functions for Windows users. There's not much
point porting it to the Mac. Your project aims to develop a new tool, so
you really should think seriously about multiplatform support. If any of
your programmers tell you this can't be done then get better
programmers.

Regards

Rod

Dr Roderic D. M. Page