Nested character states

Eric Gouda E.J.Gouda at BIO.UU.NL
Wed Sep 19 10:14:09 CEST 2001

> You are of right that you can achieve a similar effect by using
> dependencies, but as far as I can see you will get a huge number of
> characters (please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand you
> can only define dependencies between characters, not between character
> states) with many character states which can be very confusing. Being
> able to nest the characters would be - I believe - much more intuitive
> and could save a lot work when coding the items.

Jaan,

It works more or less the same in Delta. You can make a next character
dependent to a state of a former. So if you say for example petals blue
and you make a next character with all kind of blue shades and
combinations, you have to make this character dependent to that state
(petals blue) of former character.

Eric

Eric J. Gouda  E.J.Gouda at Botu.Biol.ruu.nl   http://www.uu.nl/botgard
Fax: +31 30 2535177
Curator, University Botanic Gardens, PO Box 80.162, NL-3508 TD Utrecht,
The Netherlands
Prive: Jungfrau 107, NL - 3524 WJ Utrecht, The Netherlands
Listowner Alpine-L, Arisaema-L, Bromelia-L, DELTA-L, Passiflora-L,
Penstemon-L, Trillium-L (at Nic.SurfNet.NL)