Nested character states

Jaan Palisaar jpalisaar at GMX.DE
Fri Sep 14 23:10:45 CEST 2001

Dear collegues,

some years ago I came across a demo of an identification program called
IDENTFIND. It was a (german) DOS program with a VERY basic interface,
but it was small and efficient and had a very useful feature: you could
nest character states; e.g. the character <color of flowers> could have
the character state "blue" and nested inside "blue" could be "reddish
blue", "dark blue", "bright blue" or whatever. So if the enduser is not
sure, he/she can choose the "parent character state" and get everything
which is included. Or if you are coding the habitat type it would be
very useful to do things like

<habitat>
forest
        deciduous
                oak
                beech
        evergreen
                pine

I'm quite new to DELTA (working with DeltaAccess) but haven't seen
anything like this. Is there anything I missed or is there any other
program which is capable of doing things like this?

Thanks for any comments
Jaan Palisaar

--
Jaan Palisaar