New Tools for Managing Morphology Data

Steve Shattuck Steve.Shattuck at ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Fri Sep 7 06:52:47 CEST 2001

New Tools for Managing Taxon- and Specimen-based Morphological
Information

The BioLink Team at CSIRO Entomology and the Academy of Natural Sciences
in Philadelphia recently received funding from the US NSF to develop new
tools and methods for managing morphological information. We will build
on the traditions and foundation provided by DELTA and others working in
this area. However, we are taking a "blank page" approach. This approach
allows us to implement new and novel methods without being constrained
by earlier assumptions and implementations. We can bring with us the
best of the old and merge it with the best of the new, combining
extensive understanding of managing taxonomic information with modern
software development methods. This represents a quantum leap forward
rather than a small evolutionary step. The result will be new tools that
have little resemblance to the current DELTA software but provide new
and enhanced features and functionality not currently possible.

The broad goals of this development can be found at
http://www.biolink.csiro.au/morphology.html.

Community feedback on our ideas is essential, especially now before we
caste them in code. We would like to know your views on the best
features of the current DELTA system, and the worst. If you can spare a
few minutes, please send your three most favourite and three least
favourite DELTA features directly to us at biolink at ento.csiro.au or to
the DELTA-L list. Together, we can make sure that identification tools
continue to grow and meet the needs of taxonomy in the new century.

On behalf of the BioLink Team, thanks.

Steve Shattuck
CSIRO Entomology
biolink at ento.csiro.au