Keys in HTML format

Mike Dallwitz miked at spider.ento.csiro.au
Mon Mar 15 22:47:00 CET 1999

- From: Wilson, Robin
- To: Mike Dallwitz

> The new html & rtf format key output is a very useful and practical
> thing to be doing.
>
> I prefer the keylist1.htm version, which is more readable to me than
> the keybasic.htm format. And I like the number choices being close to
> the end of the text in each couplet, rather than flushed right - makes
> it easier to use.

This was by accident rather than design - there is no way in HTML (as
far as I know) to make the numbers and names flush right, or to have a
dot leader.

> The keytabl1.htm version has its attractions but might be on the whole
> be distracting to to users with some experience of the standard
> non-tabular key in a paper or field guide. Maybe this would be less so
> if the table cell borders around each couplet/triplet were more
> prominent than the lines within couplets.

I had attempted to do this using nested tables, but the result was
unsatisfactory, so I didn't put it on the Net. However, I've now managed
to improve this version, and the result is available in keytabl2.htm. A
drawback is the increased size of the file - almost twice the size of
keybasic.htm.

- From: Frans Janssens
- To: Mike Dallwitz

> I'm using Key to generate the key of the genera of the Collembola of
> the world of Drs Christiansen, Bellinger and Greenslade. The keys are
> available at my site (http://www.geocities.com/~fransjanssens/). I
> postprocess the output of Key to convert it to HTML. My approach comes
> close to your keytabl1.htm.

These keys use preformatted, monospaced text. The disadvantage of this
approach is that the keys won't wrap in small windows (nor make full use
of the space in large windows).

Mike Dallwitz
CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/