Combining state coding

helenc at SOUTHWEST.COM.AU helenc at SOUTHWEST.COM.AU
Tue Apr 20 17:44:00 CEST 1999

Dear all,

I am hoping someone can help with this query.

We have a large DELTA data set almost completed, and with the power of
hindsight we now see that some characters would serve us better with a
reduced set of more clearly defined states. For example in our #170,
flower head colour:

#170. heads <colour>/
       1. white/
       2. cream <white with a hint of dull yellow>/
       3. pale yellow/
       4. yellow/
       5. golden/
       6. pink to purplish/
       7. red/

It would be desirable to be able to combine certain states thus:

#170. heads <colour>/
       1. white to cream/
       2. pale yellow to golden/
       3. pink to red/

We are thinking of archiving the first coding format so that this more
detailed information can be used in natural language descriptions, but
the second, reduced format is preferable in intkey.

Is there a way to modify the coding in items to combine states? (without
having to do it manually?). Secondly, is there a way to define key
states in intkey, as there is in the tokey directive file?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Beer and good cheese!
Helen Coleman