Preparing data for cladistic analysis

Charnie Craemer rietcc at PLANT2.AGRIC.ZA
Tue Apr 20 08:44:49 CEST 1999

Dear DELTA experts

I hope someone has the time to answer, please bear with me. I'm at last
starting to use the DELTA format and associated programs after planning
to do it for several years (no time!), and is still in the learning
phase.

First project:

Cladistic analyses of the type species "representing" the more or less
250 genera of the mite superfamily Eriophyoidea.

Plan of action:

Create character set(s) and item descriptions with a combination of
DeltaAccess and Delta programs, apart from other actions like developing
keys, do a cladistic analysis of the taxa (type species) with Hennig86.

Questions:

(1) Bearing in mind that I would like to eventually enter all species of
the Eriophyoidea (about 3400 species) in DELTA format, how should I
structure the files at the start? Should I develop one global character
set (3 major files in DELTA - with characters, items etc.) with all
characters of the Eriophyoidea (although all characters will not be
applicable to all genera for instance), or should I develop seperate
files (several character, item etc.) for example for each
genus/tribe/family group, later combining the sets in a larger set? The
same question for later expansion to other mite groups.

(2) In brief, how does one use/manipulate data in DELTA format for use
for cladistic analyses in Hennig86 - or please just suggest some
literature I can consult.

Best wishes
Charnie

CHARNIE CRAEMER
Acarologist
LNR-NAVORSINGSINSTITUUT VIR PLANTBESKERMING
ARC-PLANT PROTECTION RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Private Bag X134, PRETORIA, 0001 SOUTH AFRICA
e-mail: rietcc at plant2.agric.za
web: http://www.arc.agric.za/
TEL: +27-12-329 3269/70-77  FAX: +27-12-329 3278