Keys in HTML format

Mike Dallwitz miked at spider.ento.csiro.au
Mon Apr 19 00:43:02 CEST 1999

- From: Susan B. Farmer

> I saved your html for generating keys, and have been playing with it
> and style sheets. If you use Netscape 4.0 or greater, and if you point
> your browser to
>     http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/list-style1.html
> *and*
>     http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/list-style2.html
> you will see your keys with style sheets embedded into them giving the
> couplet leads their "proper" right-justified appearance.
>
> Note also, that this style may not yet be implemented in Internet
> Explorer. They are currently implemented in Netscape, and are due to
> be implemented in the next releases of both Netscape and I.E.

For easier comparison, I've copied these files to the DELTA 'test'
directory as keyfarm1.htm and keyfarm2.htm. [See
http://delta-intkey.com/test/key-html/ MJD August 2010.]

This formatting can be done without style sheets by using the ALIGN and
VALIGN attributes of the TD element.

These examples use tables without cell borders or horizontal rules, with
the result that can be a little difficult for the eye to move from the
text to the corresponding branch or taxon name.

In the sample data supplied with the next program release, we will use
the style shown in keylist2.htm in the test directory at the DELTA site.
In this style, the name or branch is adjacent to the text. I find this
quite satisfactory to work with - in fact, it may be preferable to the
usual style using a dot leader.

When viewed with Internet Explorer, this style has a unwanted (but
acceptable) line break, because of the IE implementation of lists.
Perhaps style sheets will provide a way around this, by giving the
author full control of the layout produced by HTML elements. (I haven't
looked into this yet.)

The implementation of formatting in the new version of Key is quite
flexible, and will allow most of the layouts that have been suggested.

Mike Dallwitz
CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/