A coding question

Mark Newman M.Newman at RBGE.ORG.UK
Wed Mar 26 09:23:08 CET 1997

Dear Joseph,

With respect to the question below, I don't know a clever way round the
situation but I can think of a very simple one. Why not add two more
states to character 115, as follows:

 #115. mesocarp <occurrence>/
        1. present/
        2. absent/
        3. not verifiable, layers separating
        4. not verifiable, layers not separating

and a dependency relationship 115,3/4:143:144. This will allow your data
base to work properly and, once you get enough material of the three
rare genera to score them, you can remove states 115,3 and 115,4.

I should point out that I use DELTA with PANKEY programs. Perhaps what
I've said won't work with CONFOR/INTKEY.

Best wishes, Mark