LucID and INTKEY

Bryan Simon bsimon at GIL.COM.AU
Sun Mar 16 08:29:14 CET 1997

In the current thread of the relative merits of intkey and LucID there
seem to be a conflict of the method by which LucID handles numeric data.

David Yeates wrote:

"LucID also is capable of handling continuously varying (real numeric)
characters."

whereas Eric Zurcher, on the same day, wrote:

"There is no provision for pure text characters, nor for numeric
characters as such. Hence if one wishes to generate a LucID key from a
DELTA dataset, all text characters must be discarded, and all numeric
characters must be broken up into a series of ranges (as is done via the
*KEY STATES directive of CONFOR in a number of other translations). Note
that Intkey does not have this limitation, and readily copes with text
and numeric characters."

What is the real situation? I have recently run a DELTA set of grass
data (having many characters with continuously varying numeric data)
through the DELTA translator into the LucID format. However, although
the character heading comes up on the screen I do not seem to be able to
insert a random integer value here that the program understands, despite
David's comments. This maybe due to something I am not doing correctly
and I would appreciate assistance.

Also are there plans for LucID to be able to use text characters in
interactive identification as INTKEY can - although they probably have
little use even in INTKEY unless the text strings are very short.

Regarding the ability of LucID to be able to add qualifications to the
character states - an extremely useful feature for interactive
identification - it is pleasing to see that this feature is to be
included in the proposed enhancements to the DELTA standard

This discussion of the comparative features and relative merits of LucID
and INTKEY, both of which I find to have very useful features, will be
of great value to the users and developers of both packages. The
interchange of ideas can only be healthy and of advantage to the
enhancement of both systems.

Bryan Simon

Bryan Simon  (Senior Principal Botanist)
Queensland Herbarium  (BRI)             65 Hamilton Street
Meiers Road                                Sherwood
Indooroopilly                              Queensland 4075
Queensland 4068                            Australia
Australia

Phone 61 7 3896 9319 (Work)      Fax 61 7 3896 9624 (Work)
      61 7 3379 6998 (Home)          61 7 3379 6998 (Home)

EMail bsimon at gil.com.au  (Home)
      Bryan.Simon at env.qld.gov.au  (Work)