Data standards, needs and programs

David Yeates d.yeates at MAILBOX.UQ.EDU.AU
Sun Mar 16 02:53:01 CET 1997

DATA STANDARDS, NEEDS AND PROGRAMS

There are data standards, a choice of programs, and import and export
functions in other software domains. Data standards and programs evolve
over time in a vigorous science.

The DELTA data structure has been adopted as the standard for data
exchange in taxonomic databases. However, the DELTA data structure
itself is not optimum for a fast and efficient interactive key program.

INTKEY itself does not work on the chars, items and specs files of the
DELTA standard. Thes files are processed, or converted, into a format
that INTKEY uses. In the same way, LucID converts the original DELTA
data files into a format that it can use.

The requirements of our discipline and our end-users must be kept firmly
in the foreground. Our data standards should always remain servants of
our aspirations.

David K Yeates, Senior Lecturer                 Phone  + 61 7 3365 2217
Department of Entomology                          Fax  + 61 7 3365 1922
The University of Queensland
Brisbane Qld 4072                      email d.yeates at mailbox.uq.edu.au
AUSTRALIA           http//:www.uq.edu.au/entomology/david.k.yeates.html