LucID and Intkey

David Yeates d.yeates at MAILBOX.UQ.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 13 22:38:29 CET 1997

LUCID VERSUS INTKEY: FREEDOM OF CHOICE

David Yeates - LucID Development Team

My message to this list was intended to alert recipients that the
interactive key package LucID could be useful to them. It is both
reasonable and progressive that potential users of interactive key
systems have different products to choose from.

During the development of LucID we have strived to design a friendly and
intuitive user interface. All reports received during beta testing
indicate that we have been successful in this endeavour. The INTKEY user
interface has been a persistent source of criticism, although some
improvements have been made in recent releases. Undoubtedly, some users
will prefer INTKEY's interface, and others will prefer LucID's.

LucID and INTKEY store different kinds of data. INTKEY stores a
character by taxon matrix whereas LucID stores a character state by
taxon matrix. This additional LucID information is useful in the context
of interactive identification. Becaue of these differences in data
storage any conversion from DELTA format to LucID format or vice versa
will result in some loss of information.

The LucID system includes a translator program that will convert DELTA
data into a format that LucID can use. We invite potential users to
translate their own data sets from DELTA into LucID. In this way users
can evaluate both programs in the context of their needs and the needs
of their clients.

The LucID system includes a sophisticated builder module that allows
LucID keys to be assembled easily. Again, our main goal has been to
produce a system that is friendly and intuitive. We invite users to
compare the LucID builder module with Taxasoft or other DELTA editors
such as TED.

LucID has been in development for 2 years whereas INTKEY has been
developed and refined over a period of ten years. LucID is at the
beginning of its development phase and significant enhancements are
slated for version 2.

We plan to release the LucID player version 1 with DELTA converter, a
key to insect orders, and a number of demonstration keys in the very
near future. At present we are in the final stages of editing the User
Manual. The LucID builder is currently under beta test at a number of
sites around the world. We expect that the LucID builder will be ready
for general release by the middle of this year.

For further news and updates please bookmark the LucID web site:

    http://www.ctpm.uq.edu.au/Software/Lucid.html

David K Yeates, Senior Lecturer                 Phone  + 61 7 3365 2217
Department of Entomology                          Fax  + 61 7 3365 1922
The University of Queensland
Brisbane Qld 4072                      email d.yeates at mailbox.uq.edu.au
AUSTRALIA           http//:www.uq.edu.au/entomology/david.k.yeates.html