intkey4.hlp - German translation

H.G. Richter hrichter at AIXH0401.HOLZ.UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Fri May 17 14:23:20 CEST 1996

To all German language DELTA/INTKEY4 users!

First I wish to apologize to all English language users of the
DELTA/INTKEY4 system for adding yet another useless message to their
mailbox.

To those, however, who are interested in German language HELP
instructions I pose the following question:

There a two degrees of completeness for such an translation:

a) only the explanatory text is translated into German while menu
captions, commands and command references in the text are retained in
its original (English) form. This would correspond to the previously
created INTKEYD.HLP (the D stands for *Deutsch*) for the DOS-version of
the program, that is German text with english commands (+ references),
or

b) a complete translation including menu captions, commands and
respective references, corresponding to the previous INTKEYDD.HLP (the
DD stands for *Deutsch-Deutsch*). Such a completely German version
promises better understanding of the instructions by those with only
limited knowledge of the English language. On the other hand, it would
require some reorientation of those already used to the English version
and, secondly, is bound to create some controversy as to which German
terms would be the nearest equivalents to their English counterparts
(for example: 'BROWSING' = DURCHSUCHEN?).

Please let me know your opinion and preferences. By the way, the same
problem will arise with any foreign language translation of INTKEY4
help files. Hence if users of other languages (spanish, protugese,
french, etc.) would like to chip in with their comments, please do so.

H.G. Richter
Dr. Hans Georg Richter
Institute for Wood Biology and Wood Protection
Leuschnerstra=DFe 91
21031 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 73962410. Fax: +49 40 72522835
e-mail: hrichter at aixh0401.holz.uni-hamburg.de