GUI front-end for Delta

Mike Dallwitz miked at ento.csiro.au
Mon Oct 30 01:54:34 CET 1995

- From: Andreas Walsh

> My project is focussed on the usability of the system, so that even
> those with no training in biology or science or whatever can
> successfully identify species.

The program INTKEY is an easy-to-use interactive identification
program. Whether it will enable a user to successfully carry out
identifications depends on the skill of the author of a particular data
set in conveying the necessary biological information to the user via
text and/or pictures.

> Where can I find DELTA software?

Internet Access to DELTA Programs and Data

The DELTA programs, and several data sets, are available via gopher or
anonymous ftp from
    muse.bio.cornell.edu  (directory: /pub/delta)
    ftp.ento.csiro.au  (directory: /delta)
and via WWW from
    http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/delta/
    ftp://ftp.ento.csiro.au/delta/index.html

The file Index.txt (note the upper-case I) contains a list of the
available programs and data. Most of the subdirectories of delta
contain text files *.1st which contain information about downloading
and installing the programs or data in that subdirectory. When using
ftp, always enter the command 'binary' at the start of the session.

When downloading the program distribution files, place them in a
directory \DELTA. To install the programs, follow the instructions in
Delta.1st.

The programs are supplied with documentation files, sample data, and a
list of references. The conditions of use are in a file delta.use, and
the prices in delta.reg. These files are within both of the
self-extracting archive files delta1 at .exe (MS-DOS INTKEY) and
deltaw at .exe (MS-Windows INTKEY).

Mike Dallwitz
CSIRO Division of Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Email md at ento.csiro.au  Phone +61 6 246 4075  Fax +61 6 246 4000