Sat Mar 9 17:53:34 CET 2002

Sender: "Arisaema Enthusiast Group (AEG) Discussion List (and other=
From: Susanne Renner <Renner at UMSL.EDU>
Subject: Re: Arisaema chromsome numbers

((I forgot to change the setting on my computer for my previous message. =I
had not meant to sign with my full address.))

Anyway, on Arisaema chromosome numbers:  My lab is trying to understand
chromosome number evolution in Arisaema by comparing the numbers in close=ly
related and distantly related species.  As several contributors to this
thread have explained, chromosome numbers and hybridization go together.
>From the great diversity of chromosome numbers in Arisamea (and the very
high numbers, such as n = c.140), it seems that hybridization has playe=d a
great role in the past evolution of Arisaema diversity.

Susanne

Dr. Susanne S. Renner
Professor
Department of Biology