Sat Jun 29 07:27:52 CEST 2002

Sender: "Arisaema Enthusiast Group (AEG) Discussion List (and other=
From: Marge Talt <mtalt at HORT.NET>
Subject: Re: Visit to England

Lucky YOU!

Well, I have not been back to the UK for quite some years, but there
was a time when my husband and I went over about every other year or
so.  Except for one trip to Chelsea Show in May, we always went in
September and found it a golden time of year; seldom rained on our
parade.  Kew at that time, as I recall, is quite nice, as are all the
gardens I've visited.  There are note worthy gardens in about every
area; some in connection with historical houses that are also open to
the public.

If you are going to be in York, you are not far from Harlow Carr
Gardens in Harrogate - in fact a short train trip away; or you can
drive.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/harlowcarr/index.asp

The above URL takes you to the RHS site with all the info. you'd need
about visiting Harlow Carr...highly recommended.

York itself is a very interesting city - you could spend all your
time just exploring it.  If the walk on the city walls is still given
- take it; you get to peer into some very nice gardens.

While in London visiting Kew, see if Chelsea Physic Garden is open -
had odd opening times as I recall.  Small, but when I was there, very
interesting.  Not far from Kew, in Richmond, is Hampton Court Palace

You could spend your entire 6 days in London and not see a fraction
of what is to be seen....well England has so many marvelous things
about it; just about every square inch of ground has some major
historical significance.

Getting around is not always as fast as you might think it will be,
so best to plan a route around what you'd like most to see - or take
the route you need to and see what's available along it.  Suggest
getting one of the many guides to England.

RHS site also has a garden finder search engine that should prove
helpful.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsgardenfinder/gardenfinder.asp

You can find information on those I've mentioned and hundreds more.

Have a lovely trip!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt at hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Online Nurseries 2002 - WorldPlants.com
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Lotte Hedges <lhedges at DIRECWAY.COM>
>
> Hi all
> My spouse and I are planning a trip to York, England in September
(he's
> attending a conference there - I'm just tagging along).  This will
be my
> first trip to England and we'll only have about 6 days to spare.
Any