triphyllum colors.

Christopher Gussman OlgaChrisEmily at MSN.COM
Wed Feb 20 04:12:27 CET 2002

Our native triphyllum is what got me interested in "jacks".  I am now try=ing some others "exotic" species, but I think this will always remain a f=avorite.  The great variability in this species will give anyone interestí the opportunity to develop outstanding ornamental selections.  I see t=here are a lot of "selected" forms listed and mentioned in the Arisaema-L=already. I am not sure about some of them, such as "alba"; does this for=m actually have a pure (solid) white spathe, or does it just lack  dark p=igment and have minimum green stripes?  Also, what is the difference betwîn "zebrinum" and "stripes"?    It would certainly be interesting to do =some controlled crosses to find out how some of the basic characteristics=are passed on, such as dark vs. light spathe coloration.  For a common s=pecies, there is a lot more to be learned.  Using just the characteristic=s we know and have readily available, it would, for example, be theoretic=ally possible to produce a tall clone with a very bright red stem, zebra-=patterned spathe with very dark stripes, black flecks, and random variega=ted pattern on the leaves.  Then again, there are probably still many int=eresting forms waiting to be discovered in your local woodlot.....