Pinellia search

Jim McClements, Dover, DE z6 JimMcClem at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 22 04:23:24 CET 2001

In a message dated 1/18/01 6:19:52 PM, jgwynne at WCS.ORG writes:

<< Paul There is a hybrid tripartita x pedatisecta in USA sometimes seen
(called
Polly Spout ), but I don't recall it setting seed, also two or more Chinese
species which appear v rare in cult, if almost at all. If you get any, many of
us would enjoy trying. thanks John Gwynne

Paul Tyerman wrote:

> Howdy All,
>
> I'm sending this to both the Arisaema and Aroid lists......
>
> I'm after seed (or tubers from within Australia) of Pinellias.  I've
> somewhat fallen in love with the dear little things.
>
> I currently have P. tripartita, P. pedatissecta, P. cordata and P. ternata
> and I am trying to find sources for other species.  I have heard mention of
> others, so I am assuming that there ARE other species.
>
> If anyone can help I'd be happy to purchase or try to swap.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul Tyerman
> Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
> mailto:tyerman at dynamite.com.au

A quick look at the Arisaema-L archives discloses a lot of postings on
Pinellia including one from Greg Ruckert copied here:

<<Hi all,
This is the tsanding of the genus as I understand it at the moment:

1. Pinellia cordata N. E. Brown, Journ. Linn. Soc. Bot. 36: 173, 1903:
Anhui, Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Fujian, Hunan, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou,
<800m. Endemic.
2. Pinellia fujianensis H. Li, sp. nov.: Fujian. Endemic.
3. Pinellia integrifolia N. E. Brown in Hook. f. Icon. Pl. 19, t. 1875,
1889: Hubei, Hunan, Sichuan. Endemic.
4. Pinellia pedatisecta Schott in Oster. Bot. Wochenbl. 7:341, 1857 (P.
wawrae Engl.): Hebei, Shangxi, Shandong, Jiangsu, Anhui, Zhejiang, Fujian,
Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Guangxi, Shanxi, Gansu, Sichuan, Guizhou, Yunnan,
<1000m. Endemic.
5. Pinellia peltata Pei, Contr. Biol. Lab. Sci. Soc. China, Bot. Ser.
10(1), fig. 1. 1935: Zhejiang, Jiangxi. Endemic.
6. Pinellia polyphylla S. L. Hu: Sichuan, 800m. Endemic.
7. Pinellia ternata (Thunb.) Breit. (Arum ternatum Thunb.; Pinellia
tuberifera Tenore): Hebei, Shanxi, Liaoning, Shandong, Jiangsu, Anhui,
Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Fujian, Taiwan, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Guangdong, Guangxi,
Shanxi, Ningxia, Gansu, Xinjiang, Sichuan, Guizhou, Yunnan; Korea, Japan,
<2500m.
8. Pinellia yaoluopingensis X. H. Gao et X. L. Liu, Acta Bot. Yunnan.
8(2): 223-224, 1986: Anhui. Endemic.>>>>

This was from Flora of China, and I think there were some subsequent
additions/corrections. For instance, P. tripartita is omitted, and P.
fujianensis may not have been validly described.

As for 'Polly Spout', it was sold a few years ago by WeDu nursery, where it
was found. I've had one for quite a while and it neither sets seed nor
exhibits any tendency to clump or spread thus far.

Jim McClements