Tue Jun 16 04:45:25 CEST 1998

Sender: "Arisaema Enthusiast Group (AEG) Discussion List (and other=
From: "Jim McClements, Dover, DE z6" <JimMcClem at AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: Sp #7 ("saxatile") ? Pinellia
Content-transf er-encoding: 7bit

I cut the spathe away from my one flowering "saxatile" and the spadix is
really strange. There actually seem to be two parts to the appendage, bel=ow
which are some thin projections and finally what appear to be some male
flowers.

As has been mentioned earlier, the base of the spathe is very thick and
"fleshy", similar to a Pinellia.

How much do we know about the obscure Pinellia species? The four that I g=row
(tripartita, pedatisecta, cordata and ternata) all have spadices extrudin=g
from the spathe. They also have the spadix more or less fused with the sp=athe,
not free all the way down. Are these two characteristics mandatory for th=e
genus? Or could "saxatile" indeed be a Pinellia, a possibility Ray initia=lly
raised?

I guess my question basically boils down to "How do you tell a Pinellia f=rom
an Arisaema?"

Botanists?

Jim McClements